Attractions in Komarna
- Archaeological Museum Narona, Vid, Croatia
- Ornithological collection, Metković, Croatia
- Norin Tower, Metković, Croatia
- City walls, Dubrovnik, Croatia
- Trsteno Arboretum, Trsteno, Croatia
- Fortification walls, Ston, Croatia
- Old Bridge, Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Tekke, Blagaj, Bosnia and Herzegovina
The Archaeological Museum Narona is built on the site of a temple dedicated to emperor Augustus.
Besides the temple with its entrance and roman forum, 16 sculptures of Roman emperors and their families were discovered at this site. The Museum was opened on 18 May 2007, and it is the only „on-site“ museum in Croatia.
The Ornithological collection in Metkovic, is one of the richest collections of its kind in Europe. The collection consists of over 340 species of birds that currently inhabit the Neretva Delta as well as those that were once present in the Neretva Delta.
The Neretva Delta used to be a wetland, and this ornithological collection testifies to its rich fauna. Many birds featured in this collection no longer visit the Neretva Delta due to the amelioration of the soil and can only be seen in the ornithological collection in Metković.
A tower situated in the village Kula Norinska, near Metkovic, dating back to the 16th century. Norin Tower was built by the Ottoman empire as the defense against Venice.
The Norin Tower provides clear evidence of Turkish presence in this area. Venice took control over Norin Tower in 1685.
Dubrovnik‘s city walls were built between the 12th and 17th centuries and remain one of the best maintained medieval fortifications in Europe. They are almost 2 km long, 25 m high, and 4-6 m wide on the shore side and 1.5-3 m wide on the sea side.
Trsteno Arboretum is located in the village of the same name. Trsteno is a coastal village close to Dubrovnik. Trsteno Arboretum is the only arboretum on the entire Croatian coast.
The Arboretum extends over an area of 25 hectares. It consists of the garden planted with exotic and Mediterranean plants. The oldest tree is 145 years old. The arboretum is a heritage listed site as a monument of garden architecture.
Ston’s walls were built after the Dubrovnik Republic obtained the Peljesac peninsula in 1334 in order to protect the borders of the Republic. The 5.5 km long fortification walls were built first and were subsequently strengthened with 40 forts and 5 towers.
The Old Bridge in Mostar was built in 1566 and it is one of the most important monuments of the Ottoman Empire in this region.
The bridge was built by Mimar Hayrettin, a student of famous Turkish architect Sinan. The Old Bridge is built out of one arch and at the highest point is 29 m high. The Old Bridge is a Unesco protected site.
At the source of the Buna river, in the village Blagaj, 20 km from Mostar, there is a dervish house – a historical tekke – a sacred place for Muslims. The first tekke was built in 1470, but the tekke that stands here today was built in the late 15th century.
The Tekke is located at the base of a 200 m high cliff. The water at the source of the Buna river is so clean that people regularly drink it directly from the river.